The Best Cosmetic Procedures for Addressing Stubborn Fat
You’ve exercised and followed a healthy diet plan for months, and though you’ve reached your target body weight, you still can’t seem to shed those last few pounds. Whether you’re concerned about a “muffin top,” upper arm fat, a double chin, or extra flab on your thighs, few things in life are more frustrating than dealing with body fat that just won’t budge. Why do you have these annoying fat deposits, and what can you do to banish them once and for all?
Common Causes of Stubborn Body Fat
If you struggle to lose weight, despite working out and eating a balanced diet, you’re not alone. Men tend to accumulate fat in their abdominal region, while women often pack on extra pounds on their thighs and buttocks. As you age, you may discover it’s more difficult for you to lose weight than it was in your younger years. There are other factors at play as well, including the following.
- Genetics: You may have Mom or Dad to thank for the unwanted pounds you can’t shake off.
- Hormones: Women, in particular, are subject to estrogen fluctuations due to age and pregnancy. Increased estrogen levels cause your body to store more fat than it needs.
- Timing of your meals: Do you often eat a late dinner or enjoy a snack right before bedtime? Eating close to when you go to sleep does not give your body enough time to process the nutrients and burn off the calories.
- Size of your meals: Metabolically, it is better to eat several smaller meals spaced throughout the day than it is to eat two or three larger ones.
- Processed foods: The typical American diet is heavy in processed foods that add refined sugar and lack dietary fiber. Stick to fresh produce, lean protein sources, and dairy instead of relying on these empty calories.
Your Options for Losing Fat
If it seems like you’ve tried everything and still can’t banish those unsightly bulges, you can turn to cosmetic medicine to achieve the sleek physique of your dreams. Here are some of the most popular choices we offer at North Atlanta Plastic Surgery and our medical spa.
- Liposuction: You have probably heard of liposuction as the gold standard for getting rid of fat. Dr. Alderman can contour almost any area with liposuction, including the abdomen, waist, back, arms, legs, neck, and chin. Liposuction is a surgical procedure with a long track record of safety and a relatively brief recovery time. Dr. Alderman offers several different liposuction techniques, depending on your cosmetic goals and the area being treated.
- CoolSculpting: For busy patients looking for a non-surgical, no-downtime alternative to liposuction, CoolSculpting might be ideal for you. This contouring procedure does not involve anesthesia or incisions, and there are no activity restrictions afterward. CoolSculpting uses controlled cooling to reduce fat in specific trouble spots on your body.
- Kybella®: If you are at an otherwise healthy weight, but have inherited a double chin, it may be affecting your self-esteem. Kybella® is an FDA-approved injectable that uses deoxycholic acid to break down the fat cells in this area without surgery. Achieve a better-defined jawline and chin with quick, in-office Kybella® injections.
Good Candidates for Fat Removal Procedures
As you learn more about these options, it’s essential to keep in mind that there is a distinction between cosmetic procedures like these and a technique such as a lap band surgery, which is designed to help obese people lose a drastic amount of weight from all over their bodies. Instead, liposuction, CoolSculpting, and Kybella® are all excellent spot-reduction options for women and men who are already at or near a healthy body weight, but who wish to tone specific zones on their bodies that have resisted their efforts to diet and exercise.
None of these procedures give you a license to stop taking good care of yourself; you must be willing to maintain your results if you want to avoid regaining the weight. Liposuction, CoolSculpting and Kybella® will reduce the number of fat cells in the treated area, but keep in mind the remaining fat cells can expand if you pack on the pounds after your treatment. However, most patients are so pleased with their results that they discover newfound motivation to maintain them.
Fat Reduction in Atlanta
If you’re considering these cutting-edge procedures for reducing stubborn body fat, call North Atlanta Plastic Surgery today for a consultation with our board-certified cosmetic surgeon, Dr. Amy Alderman.